Wednesday, November 26, 2008

It's Turkey Time...

Actually, I'm making both a Turkey AND a Ham for tomorrow... Here's a blow by blow record of the 2008 Chadwell Family Thanksgiving...

Monica wanted a ham and Connor and I wanted turkey. I like ham too, and I've never smoked a ham before so this will be fun to prepare something different.

At 4 PM Wednesday I started brining the turkey... My brine consisted of filtered water, fajita seasoning, apple juice and ice. Apple juice and salt/pepper mixture make a great brine. The turkey is eleven and a half pounds... I'll start smoking it about 8 AM... We'd like to eat lunch around 2 or 2:30 PM and it takes about 30 minutes per pound if I can keep the smoker at 235 degrees.

The wood I'm using for my smoke is apple wood... -Perfect for poultry...

Since I'm a 'rookie' at smoking a ham, I'm going to start researching hams right now... (7:25 PM Wednesday)

...Wow...! There is an overwhelming amount of info on Smoking a ham...! One article I read said to 'cold' smoke it for several days... -That's not going to happen... I have no idea at all how I'm going to cook this ham...! (8:28 PM Wednesday)

No comments: